How do you get past the “I’m an idiot” phase?

I’m a native English speaker, and decided to learn Arabic. It’s sort of been my quarantine project. I am a SAHM with kids of varying ages, so I haven’t been able to devote hours a day (and honestly, sometimes I skip days) just because there’s not quiet, free time to study. I started learning to read Arabic with Dr. Imran Alawyie’s YouTube series and workbooks. Once I felt like I could (slooowly) sound out words, I got Pimsleur. I’m about 6 months in to the whole process, at this point, which I know is barely anything, but I have thought about doing the “language exchange” thing where I help someone with English and they help me with Arabic ...but I’m terrified. I can say hello, how are you, what my name is...that I want to eat or drink. And some other basics..but I feel like if I had to say those things to a fluent person I’d just freeze up from embarrassment and forget everything and just come across as an idiot. Is there a point where you get past that? Or do you just suck it up, dive in, and face the embarrassment? Even typing this is making me feel a little queasy :/

submitted by /u/peoplegrower
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3jgnJJM
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments