Do native speakers sometimes throw in a word in your native tongue when you speak to them?

Here in Mexico learning Spanish. I notice when I talk to local Mexicans in Spanish they sometimes throw in an OK. I know that do not do that to each other....My pronunciation and speech are solid, but not native level. A few months ago I was getting the okie dokie. That stopped. I sure as heck know they do not say that to each other....

I used to be offended by this. Now I have accepted it. But it also makes me wonder if others experience this and why this happens.

Some thoughts -

  1. It does not generate meaningful connection...... It does the opposite (see point #2). Throwing in a word or two from my native tongue when I am trying to speak your native tongue is not showing respect for my language. It would be like a white politician saying only bien and hola in a speech to Mexican-American voters in New Mexico. A little more cringey than a Mexican saying Okie Dokie due to historical factors. And poor attempts at pandering. Or like Biden (not taking political sides just pointing out it was not used from a place of spiritual authenticity in meaning and practice) using Inshallah during the last presidential debate.
  2. It serves to Other you and creates a disconnect in belonging.......the subtext from my perspective is "I know you are not one of us. You are an American. I am throwing in this OK or Okie Dokie probably because it is the only English I know. I want to let you know that I know you are a extranjero or gringo or whatever."
  3. It ever so slightly belittles your effort in trying to speak their language.........It is slight. Occassional. But it builds up when you experience it everday. At first I found it disheartening. But then I realized these folks have probably never been outside of Mexico before. They do not understand.

Now I have had more direct examples. Like a few months ago at PEMEX I spoke to a guy - buen día, lleno y verde por favor. He goes straight into English (w/ an accent) for no reason. Now this is in Puerto Vallarta so no surprise. I ask how he knew I did not speak Spanish. He said my accent gave me away. But....I rolled up in a car with California license plates that he clearly looked at as I was pulling in. There was no difficulty in the conversation yet. He completely assumed I did not speak Spanish as well as he spoke English. Oh well.

But why did I get this response?

Turns out he spent his summer helping his family in Central WA state picking apples (Yakima). That part of WA state is pretty red politically. Yakima can be rough too - politics aside. Poor area of WA. I can imagine he may have been given a rough time when he was learning English. Same for a South American friend who came to Seattle at 14 to play soccer. He could not speak English. Other kids would rail on his lack of English skills. Those kids had no idea how difficult it was to suddenly go into a new country with no language skills....Quick way to assert dominance over someone I guess....

The PEMEX guy looked at me extremely confused when I gave him a 50 Peso tip. Other than being a large tip for Mexican gas station (10-20 p is usual) (I hate that the pressure to tip is there in the 1st place), he knew that I knew he was taking shots at me. The kindness was an unexpected response.

Aaaaanyways, did you all ever get this in whatever language you are trying to learn at any point in your learning process from local native speakers?

Why do you think you get that response?

(Assuming you went to your target country and not just patient iTalki teachers).

submitted by /u/PopularTradition
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3kZW3cA
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments