Has anyone who mostly/only knew English until their mid 20’s had success in learning a new Asian language?

My family speaks Chinese and I’ve learned a bit growing up but never really got past beginner level. My accent is actually pretty terrible. I also was learning Korean intensively while I was studying abroad in Korean and was for the most part not picking it up well. I had a terrible accent and couldn’t understand people when they spoke at a normal speaking speed. The only success I’ve had is learning Spanish in high school for 4 years. I figured it was easier for me because the structure is very similar to English as opposed to Asian languages and the accent/tone isn’t as important.

I’ve wanted to try learning more Korean or Japanese, but I wonder if I’m just incapable of picking up a new language at this age. I know it’s not impossible if I put in the work but I’d love to hear success stories to motivate me.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/lhtaing
[link] [comments]

from Tikilluaritsi | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/3joLyyE
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments