«Can we call it a day?» What idioms or proverbs in other languages do you like?

I really like this one in English, «Can we call it a day?»

In French, I'm sorry if I'm really old fashioned, but I like «Chapeau!», and I may even use it while speaking Catalan.

In Italian, I like «Piove, porco governo!» although I think the real one they currently say is «Piove? Governo ladro!» Both can be translated as «Is it raining? Fucking government!»

Please, only ones you really know, not something you have read somewhere. Specially from languages you know or understand.

PS. One in Catalan everybody should know: «Qui no té un all té una ceba», who doesn't have a garlic has an onion, so, everybody has some deffect, nobody is perfect.

PS2. One in Italian that it seems no native Italian speaker knows, but was said centuries ago by Giordano Bruno and many non Italians use: «Se non è vero, è ben trovato», if it's not true, it's well explained.

submitted by /u/viktorbir
[link] [comments]

from Sveiki | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/3k6zG5x
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments