Rolling Rs (alveolar trill)

I am posting this to hopefully help others. I’ve been learning for about a month and was at the stage where I could vibrate my tongue but could not actually pronounce the word. I don’t know why, but I never thought to keep my tongue positioned to the roof of my mouth while I pronounced entire words. For example, I had trouble transitioning from PE to the RRO in perro because my tongue wasn’t in the correct position. It was not possible for me to be fast enough to move my tongue so I googled to see if others had this same issue.

I am still practicing and can’t do trill perfectly every time but this advice helped me to where I can actually trill.

Here are some tips on rolling the r:

(1) You are not trying to move your tongue up and down really fast. You could never move your tongue fast enough.

(2) Instead, You try to hold the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth just behind your teeth while vigorously blowing air out of your mouth over your tongue.

(3) It is the tongue resisting the airflow that causes the tip of the tongue to vibrate rapidly against the roof of the mouth.

CAUTION: If you press the tongue's tip too tightly to the roof of the mouth, the air will just go around the tongue. If you don't quite touch the roof of the mouth, the air just goes over the tongue. You want the tip of the tongue to just barely touch the roof of the mouth and to just barely resist the force of the air going out.

TIP: Holding your lips in a loose "o" formation will probably be easiest, so start with that formation. You can experiment with different mouth shapes, though.

TIP: The Spanish RR is a voiced sound, but it is easier if you begin by concentrating your effort only on making the flapping motion. Once you are able to achieve that, then just add your voice to it.

TIP: As you practice, you will be holding the sound longer than you would in an actual word. The RR sound, when held for a long duration, is actually a motor-like sound, which you may have made naturally as a child if you ever tried to imitate motor noises (I certainly did).

Source

submitted by /u/Top_Communication_76
[link] [comments]

from Sveiki | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2PgeU5a
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments