Being discouraged from learning language that isn’t my ‘heritage’?

Hello, Recently I told some friends I was learning Korean to better communicate with Korean friends I made at university. However, they weren’t at all supportive, and said I should learn Mandarin Chinese for the reason of “because it’s your mother tongue and heritage”, which didn’t quite make sense to me because my grandparents were from Hong Kong and can’t speak Mandarin in the first place (Myself and my parents were born and raised in the UK with English as the native language, and Cantonese as a second).

After hearing this, I’ve just gotten really discouraged by my friends comments, and I’m beginning to wonder what is the point if those around me think it’s pointless and that I should stay true to my ‘supposed’ roots, despite my genuine interest in learning other languages and cultures (having studied French for 9 years and being proficient in Cantonese speaking).

So essentially, are there any potential suggestions on how I can motivate myself to learn a language in an environment that is negative about me doing so?

Thank you and apologies for the paragraphs

submitted by /u/JustAGeogStudent
[link] [comments]

from Sveiki | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/3gjYB3s
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments