Studying a language versus using a language.

I had a conversation the other day that made me consider something I hadn’t before. I’m around an upper intermediate level of Korean and have been studying for about three years now. I’m around a TOPIK 5 or a little higher, not quite a 6.

Someone who I’ve known for a while asked how my Korean studying was going and my response surprised him. I told him I didn’t really “study” it much anymore. He thought I meant I’d given up learning Korean, and I explained that I hadn’t, it’s just different now. Instead of sitting down with books and “studying” it, I mostly just use it now throughout the day. I’ll usually read a news article or two, watch some tv, listen to a podcast, read some things randomly on Twitter. I’ve also been playing video games in Korean. It probably adds up to an hour or two of using Korean every day.

My question is whether this is actually effective or not. I feel mostly comfortable with the grammar of Korean and the only things stopping me from comprehension are vocabulary and the really mumbly nature of the native accent. It’s mostly vocabulary.

I guess I just decided a while back that there were too many words to memorize and study and that the only way I could really make progress is by using the language every day instead of studying and memorizing aspects of it. Is this a good idea though? And for anyone who has reached a fluent level in a category 5 language (or any other), how long did it take you to get from the upper intermediate level of knowing maybe 50-75% of what’s said to the fluent level of knowing 95-100% of what’s said?

submitted by /u/geomeunbyul
[link] [comments]

from Aloha | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/30hFn9d
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments