Reading in your target language - advice please!

I’m a suffering student of Polish and have decided it’s time I try and read more Polish. I have some children’s books but I really don’t enjoy reading them since I’m not a kid and the subject matter just doesn’t interest me since I’m 45 years old.

My Polish wife offered me her copy of the first Harry Potter book so I figured I’d try that since I know the story already more or less.

Now, as far as I know, reading in a target language isn’t about looking up every little phrase and word but, rather, just trying to keep going and grasp as much as possible and looking up things from time to time.

I’m looking for some guidance as I already started reading the first few pages and can already find loads I want to look up/don’t understand but I’m trying to resist the urge until I really don’t understand what’s going on.

I’m always tempted to look up every little thing I don’t understand and make notes, and this is always what stops me reading books - because it feels like studying rather than reading for pleasure.

submitted by /u/Vonatar-74
[link] [comments]

from Góðan dag | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2MeHH8I
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments