I'm planning on studying college in Canada, should I study French?

Hello! I'm a bilingual Filipino, I can speak Tagalog and English fluently. I have a lot of relatives in Canada, some of them were born and raised there. One thing I noticed was that from an early age, my cousins were taught to speak French. The situation now is that I have a lot of free time due to the virus, and school isn't starting for at least 2 1/2 months.

According to my research, Spanish would be easier to learn because of the similarities with Tagalog, but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to my studies. French would be harder, and even harder because I plan to self-teach.

I studied English quite frequently, to get fluent enough to compete in Copy Editing when I was 12. I also watched a lot of pop culture movies and shows (as influenced by my father: we watched TWD a lot when I was younger), so I'm afraid that I wouldn't be as immersed as I was then.

I have backgrounds in Spanish as well, my paternal grandmother was fully Hispanic. Some of my older relatives can speak the language and might be able to teach me sometimes. But the problem persists, I won't be able to use it as much as I want to. I can learn Spanish and then learn French, it might make learning easier because of their similarities and seeing as they are both romance languages, but I'm afraid I won't be able to focus on studying two languages and a STEM-related program.

submitted by /u/drangelli
[link] [comments]

from Góðan dag | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/36Nh9VJ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments