How to speak with boyfriend in his native language?

I met my boyfriend in Spain, he was a part time Spanish teacher at a school I went to. I stayed in Spain for about 3 months and got up to level B1, but I find it really difficult to speak, whereas he is almost fluent in English so that's how we've always communicated. Whenever we used to go out with his friends they would talk really quickly and never involved me because they thought I didn't understand anything, when I just didn't have the confidence to talk. Then when the conversation would slow they'd look at me and say stuff like "why aren't you speaking?" "say something" and then I'd be really put on the spot and have no idea what to say.

Basically I just never felt involved or welcome in the conversation and now don't like talking to my boyfriend in Spanish because he's made fun of me a couple of times for my accent or something and it's knocked my confidence. With teachers or other students I find it a lot easier to talk.

Anyway, I told him all of this the other day and we decided that every call we had (we're long distance now) we'd spend 5 mins speaking in Spanish. However, he's still putting me on the spot with asking me to tell him something or playing silly games that make me feel like a 10 year old, not someone he actually wants to talk to. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit but I just want advice on how to make it easier for the both of us. What is the best and easiest way to transition from one language to the other? And is there any other advice that you would give us?

Thank you!

TL;DR: how do I start talking to my native Spanish boyfriend in Spanish?

submitted by /u/appel7
[link] [comments]

from Ongi etorri | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2AiaTsX
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments