How I Became Conversationally Fluent in 3 Months (Documentary, Guide, Tips, Struggles)

Talking about Spanish in this post.

3 Months of Learning.

3 Months of Consistency.

3 Months of Struggle.

I am constantly pushing myself outside of my comfort zone to SHOW people what would happen if you just took the Leap of Faith.

I wanted to show what's possible in 3 months with a new language. Sh*t was hard, not gonna lie.

After my time, I can confidently say that it is possible to become conversationally fluent in Spanish (if you're an English speaker) after 3 months.

Anyways, I documented my journey in learning Spanish over the last 3 Months. I've gotten to a B1 level, fully conversationally fluent, and I talk about my EXACT process in learning the language, what I struggled with, and give tips on the groundwork for how to do it.

CONVERSATIONALLY FLUENT IN 3 MONTHS (Documentary)

Anyways, here's what I did: I highly recommend the video because I go into detail about all of these things in around 30 minutes.

4 Main forms of Learning a Language: You must take a balanced approach to all 4.

Listening- IMO, I don't think you should spend as much time on this as the others. It's important but has the least amount to add to your overall language proficiency because it requires the least amount of thought. It's the most passive of the skills. And in the beginning, you'll be hearing things but if you don't know the words, it doesn't click correctly.

Speaking- The most important skill because it has the most use in everyday life. If you had to focus on one skill, I would definitely pick this one. There is no shortcut to this, you just have to practice, practice, practice.

Reading- The best way to learn vocabulary and practice your pronunciation. It helps to see words in their conjugated forms as well, and it can help you recognize the difference between the tenses. I would make this skill number 2 the focus on.

Writing- Good for solidifying what you learned. I think you need to write vocab in order to really remember it. Also, I love writing because it's like speaking but you have all the time in the world to get the conjugation and tense correct. I would use this to help strengthen your other skills.

TIPS and TRICKS:

LIVING with LOCALS- Best thing you can do. It's not enough just to live in a foreign country.

Teaching English- You kill 2 birds with one stone. Your students teach you Spanish and you understand how to learn a language better.

Going to Spanish School- I believe it's important in the beginning to have some sort of formal education. You don't know what you don't know. Once you understand the fundamentals, then you can go on your own and learn.

Make Spanish friends/Local- People treat you differently when you're with local friends and it's another way to learn about the culture outside of tourism.

Really Learn the Rules of A Language - MOST IMPORTANT THING. Other than irregulars, most of the language follows rules. There are a ton of rules, not gonna lie, but this is the best way to speak correctly if you know how to create the conjugations yourself.

Focus on one angle of the Language at a time- The learning curve is really high in the beginning. Focus on one thing to practice at a time, master it, then move on. Trying to tackle everything at once will make you feel overwhelmed.

Try to simplify learning: Pick the most common words to describe something. For example, Spanish has like 7 different words to describe beautiful. Pick one in your vocabulary, then move on to other things. You will learn synonyms as you continue in the language.

Struggles:

Vocabulary- There is no way to shortcut this. You can only learn this over time, and it's IMPOSSIBLE for 99.99% of people to learn all the words in a language in 3 months.

Future tense- There are 2 ways to say it, but I just use ir + verb. I didn't spend that much time learning like tendra o haré because it didn't have too much use in everyday life.

Subjunctive- This mood doesn't exist in English so it's a weird concept to grasp. You do slowly start to understand it over time.

Understanding some people’s accents- You need to be conversing with a large number of people in order to train you ear to recognize the language in different ways.

Consistency- Self explanatory. Life gets in the way sometimes, and it's hard to stay disciplined. If you are though, your results will be out of this world.

Let me know what has helped you guys learn Spanish! There are still some topics that I am struggling with and I am so curious to hear what you guys did to learn the language!

Cheers,

Wes

submitted by /u/wesleezy
[link] [comments]

from 欢迎 | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2Xa909i
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments