How can I stop translating sentences in my head?

I recently started playing Pokemon Moon in Spanish to try and re-immerse myself and dust off my rusty Spanish abilities. I could understand 80% of everything said (only really had trouble with the colloquial phrases), but I kept finding myself translating everything they said. Almost like it's a requirement for me to comprehend every word spoken no matter the importance.

For example, the mom said "Renee, abra la puerta por favor." I knew what it meant, but my mind still paused and went "Abra-open, la-the, puerta-door, por favor-please". I'm not sure why I do this since I'm a native Spanish speaker even though I haven't spoken it in years. I've caught myself doing the same thing when I'm practicing Korean, but since Korean is so unlike English, it's much worse.

It slows down my comprehension to an almost snail's pace, and I'm not sure how I can break this habit. For Spanish, I just assume it's practice more and try to re-acquaint myself with the language, but for Korean feels much more difficult. I'm very new to the language, so I can't really just open up King of Pigs (great movie), and practice comprehension. I'm hoping this will go away, but if not, how can I stop?

EDIT: I primarily only use Anki and Lingodeer to study, so know that might help if I add something.

submitted by /u/eeneranna9
[link] [comments]

from Góðan dag | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/3deeRBk
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments