Does ur personality change slightly between languages?

I am fluent in a few languages, but my true love is Spanish. I’m married to a Guatemalan. I love it. You would not know I’m not a native speaker if you heard me. Most Latinos think I’m Latina. But I grew up around it daily, just started speaking at 15. I love the slang between counties, the multitude of accents, just the variety and everything about the language. But I’ve also noticed that my personality changes slightly when I language switch. In English I feel more professional and logical. Maybe bc English is the language of business. Idk: no idea why. But in Spanish I’m more relaxed and passionate and a lot funnier. The things that I would think in English, I wouldn’t necessarily think in Spanish. There are so many words/phrases or commonalities in Spanish that don’t exist in English or don’t sound right being translated.. My husband feels the same and his personality changes slightly. But I learned today this is a legitimate thing that happens to bilinguals and multilinguals. I had no idea. I’ve asked my other bilingual friends and they’ve noticed this after me telling them. Have any of you noticed this?

submitted by /u/weimermh124
[link] [comments]

from Ongi etorri | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2LeJydp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments