Between Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic, and Russian as a pre-health college student.

I've read the wiki and believe I could use some specific help.

Background on me: I grew up in a Spanish speaking country attending an English speaking school, so I'm fluent in Spanish and English. I then took 5 years of French in High School, and developed a love for languages. I recently took an accelerated Italian course in my first year at college designed for those experienced in Romance Languages. I'm not entirely familiar with the language skill ranking system, but I passed the French B2 exam and have since improved. I usually say I speak 2.5 languages, being fluent in Spanish and English, upper intermediate in French, and beginner/intermediate in Italian (I can hold a good conversation and express a lot but have yet to take a formal test too much or experience native speakers beyond my professor).

I'm a premedical student, and I wanted to know if I could somehow combine my goals in medicine with my love for languages. I plan on taking volunteer trips/internships to French speaking countries or Italy through one of my school's programs.

Problem: Next, for my 5th, I want to tackle an entirely new language. I've been thinking of Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic, and Russian as my main options. I know this would be a much bigger commitment. While I'm very happy with the level I've reached in Italian after 5 months, I feel any of this would be an at least 5+ year regular commitment. I also don't want to start one without going all the way.

I'm trying to figure out which has the best combination of personal interest, feasibility, and value to me as a future doctor.

I think I have the most personal interest in Japanese, being a proud lover of anime, manga, and Japanese food. I really like Russian culture as well, and just find the idea of speaking Russian very cool. Mandarin and Arabic don't really have that allure for me, but I'm sure both have rich and interesting cultures I could be attracted to with more exposure.

I think as a doctor, Mandarin would be the most useful to me, followed by Arabic. Of course it would eventually depend on where and specifically what I want to work in and as a freshman....I'm not sure.

(Secondary question: If anyone is willing to provide advice about some type of trip I could do to solidify my French and Italian, I'd be more than willing to hear. I've been researching a bit and have found so far found a few programs where my school can help fund, but willing to hear more).

TL, DR: I'm between Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic, and Russian, and want help figuring out which one to do under a medical context.

Specific Qs:

So, list of questions:

- Between Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic, and Russian, which language is most useful in a medical setting?

- Could someone direct me in better understanding/appreciating Chinese and Arabic-speaking countries' culture?

- Does anyone have specific experience with this combination of English, Spanish, French, and Italian? What did you/they tackle next?

- Is it at all feasible for me to reach close to intermediate level in any of these in the next 4 years? I'd still be juggling a pre-med curriculum, and wouldn't be able to travel to one of these until my planned gap year. I might fit an introductory course at my college, but after that I'd be self-studying mostly.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/xBamber
[link] [comments]

from Góðan dag | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2XLV2Lh
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments