A language vs. its culture/media

So, I'm juggling two languages. Because time is limited, I want to drop one and really let myself get into the other.

One of the languages I am learning because I started on a whim and turns out I find the language itself absolutely fascinating. I am very eager to get my lesson done every day, but... well, all of the media I've found in it since starting to learn bores me to death or otherwise puts me off. It's too bad, because the language is amazing.

The other language, I don't find interesting at all. I don't even enjoy how it sounds that much. But just about every tv show I try out has me hooked within a few episodes, every film has been engaging. I just struggle to stay motivated to learn the language since the language itself doesn't appeal to me.

If you were me--and maybe you have been in this situation before--what would you do? Choose the "fascinating" language with boring media, or the "boring" language with fascinating media? Or would you quit altogether and choose some other language hoping to luck out and be fascinated by both the language itself and the media?? Since languages are such a huge investment, I feel stuck about making the decision. I hope to avoid wishing I'd gone the other way later on or something!

submitted by /u/pilespilespiles
[link] [comments]

from Здравейте | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/3c6IJPv
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments