Anyone know of some good studies done on the efficacy of formal classroom learning of foreign languages?

Howdy, y'all.

So, I'm personally not a fan of classroom learning at all, and believe it is overall ineffective, and my advice for maybe all language learners is simply do not take language classes, and that their time would be better spent going at it by other means.

Please note: The above is my personal opinion, and just that. I am not and never would try to tell anyone that my opinion is an absolute truth, so please feel free to also have your own feelings on the matter.

Also note: I am American, and as you might guess am only familiar with the American educational system, so I can't speak for any other part of the world.

I've so far only taken a look at one publication on foreign language education in the US. I don't remember where - I just clicked on it somewhere, and it basically said foreign language education here is very much lacking, and presented some data indicating that a very, very, very small percentage of students that take the usual compulsory amount of foreign language courses (2 years in high school and 2 years at university) go on to become proficient users of the language.

Of course, I can't look at just ONE article and take it's reporting to be the truth. That would be shitty research. And that's why I came to this sub to ask if y'all know of any more studies.

I would like to read studies about high school and university, as well as other institutions such as immersion schools or language academies or whathaveyou.

I welcome studies that have taken place in any country/region, and that are written in either English, Spanish or French, as those are the only languages I could comprehend academic writings in.

Thank you all for reading and happy studying!

submitted by /u/MyNameIsNahDude
[link] [comments]

from Здравейте | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2SqIOpr
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments