What Language Should I Learn?

I want to preface that I have read the wiki so pls don't come after me mods.

I only speak English but I have dabbled in Italian and Japanese. I live in an area where most people along with all my friends know at least two languages. I feel often down knowing that I only speak English and want to learn another language to increase my skills. I'm torn between learning a language I'm interested in or focusing on a language that would be more useful. I've always been very into Asian cultures (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc.) and have a strong interest in learning Japanese or Korean. I have visited Japan in the past and plan to visit Korea eventually. I also am interested in teaching English in Asia (undecided where yet) after I graduate from university. My partner is also very into Japanese pop culture and eagerly expressed that he wants to learn Japanese as he wants to travel to Japan in the near future. In terms of utility, I don't see Japanese being very useful outside of Japan as I'm from Canada. My heritage is Italian, much of my family, including my mother, is from Italy however I don't know the language as we never spoke Italian at home growing up. I was considering learning Italian to get closer to my roots and to speak Italian to my relatives in Italy. I have visited Italy and eventually plan to visit again later in life to visit family and sight-see. I see Italian being more useful in my personal life and it being a bit more useful living in North America. My partner speaks French and expressed that he would also learn Italian as well if I decided on it so, in either case, I will have a language learning buddy. I'm just reaching out to hear some opinions on what others might choose if they were in my predicament. All opinions welcomed!

TL/DR: undecided to choose between Italian and Japanese due to interests, utility and heritage.

submitted by /u/hotp0tat
[link] [comments]

from Únati yupóniyea| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/3aCH6bP
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments