What is happening?

Why does this happen?

I was born and live in America. My family is Brazilian and I speak Portuguese at home. Recently, I’ve been wanting to improve my vocabulary so I stated using duolingo. I find it very helpful.

After I’m done with a duolingo lesson, I feel very confident in my ability to speak Portuguese. Especially if I had just learned some difficult words.

Unfortunately, whenever someone tries to communicate with me in Portuguese, I stumble, now that I’m learning new vocab, I want to use it in conversation, but I can’t because I forgot the word. It’s like whenever someone tries to speak Portuguese to me, I completely forget the language.

One example is when I go to school, and there’s a lot of Brazilian kids at my school. I try to eavesdrop into to their conversations and can understand them, but when it comes to speaking, that is something I just cannot do.

I find that whenever surrounded by Portuguese speakers, I can speak Portuguese really well. But when I’m out in public or at school, where the main language being spoken is English, I find it impossible to remember anything from Portuguese.

What is happening to me? And is normal among bilinguals?

submitted by /u/FriedPancake5
[link] [comments]

from Maligayang pagdating | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2TSSHfI
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments