Language Learning for Polyglots/ Linguists

Hey r/languagelearning community, I'm an undergraduate Cognitive Science/ Linguistics/ Neuroscience major researching second language acquisition in adolescents, language education, and optimality theory (amongst other things). I'm a native English speaker but have learned French and Spanish to a pretty extensive degree, fully conversational and comfortable watching tv and film in my other languages.

For years, in middle and high school and obviously in college, I've tried my hand at many languages (full list: Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Urdu, Japanese, Mandarin, Esperanto) and have gotten to the point where I can get a loose feel for the basic structure. However, I often lose motivation out of frustration for one simple reason:

All the books and programs and online resources I find are always oriented towards someone who's never learned another language before, children, or casual learners. They often introduce elementary concepts at slow/ simplified paces (ex. "Chapter 1: What is Conjugation?" or "Let's start with greetings!"). I have experience with the many possibilities and structures a language can have and a good grasp on the intertwinement of lexicons and roots. Phonology, Syntax, and Linguistic Relativity are classes I have taken (by name). (Sidebar: this is in NO way a brag of any kind, I promise. It's a real frustration in a unique but, as I'm guessing, not uncommon situation) Because of this, I sometimes feel like books/guides are going too slow and not focusing on grammar as much as they could, and subsequently lose interest.

Seeing as this is a community of language lovers, I thought that other aspiring polyglots/ linguists might feel the same way. My question is this: has anyone else out there found the same issue? Does anyone know a way to stay focused and soldier through it, or other resources more geared towards my goals? I would love to be an intense, self-challenging learner but am really struggling to find any such resources. Thank you!

(P.S: this is my first post!)

submitted by /u/mrminipuff
[link] [comments]

from Únati yupóniyea| Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2xyyNPg
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments