I’ve never experienced this much luck in an interaction.

So I grew up in USA, adopted by a korean mother who tried to get me to learn korean when I was very young but I didn’t catch on and she gave up on teaching me. Later in life I learned Spanish and later Korean so I can communicate with my amazing mom. Spanish gave me the proof that I could learn a language, actually learned it because of a cute girl haha.

Around my area in Maryland there are two H-Marts which is a korean supermarket which tends to be sort of an ‘all-foreign’ supermarket. A lot of Latinos work and shop there, but I’ve been going there my whole life and for some reason I never actually considered speaking in my 2nd or 3rd language there. Maybe because I’m so conditioned as going there as an English speaker.

But the moment of truth hit me. I’m standing in a rather long line and I’m not in the aisles of the checkout counters yet. Behind me maybe 3 feet away I realized a korean woman who doesn’t speak good English was trying to describe a product in English to a latino guy who also spoke little English. He wasn’t understanding and she seemed frustrated and I got the chance to play translator for her korean into his Spanish and his Spanish into her korean. I FELT SO SATISFIED!!! I felt like my whole life just aligned with the stars to learn these two languages that led up to the moment I helped a woman find prepackaged seaweed soup!!!!

They both were like “yoooo that guy is dope” and I was all like “yeah man I’m cool and trilingual” and it was just so awesome dude.

submitted by /u/reefgod
[link] [comments]

from Siya namkela nonke | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/32rCphz
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments