What language to pick up?

Hey folks,

To get right into it, my GF's mother gave me a coupon to pay for a semester long language course at my university. Now is just the question - which language?

I'm a German native speaker and fluent in English. I also had French in highschool for 6 years, but I graduated nearly 8 years ago and tried on and off with Duolingo to keep at least some of the grammar and vocabulary.

The thing is, I realised I don't really like learning French.

I'm more interested in Japanese, Spanish, Italian, maybe Swedish or, on days I feel like a masochist, Arabic. That being said, I know there are downsides.

Japanese is a nightmare to write, especially Kanji, and it's limited to Japan only (even though the nation is an economical powerhouse). Spanish is, as far as I know, the most spoken language in the world but also very hard. Italian is easier than Spanish but limited to Italy. Swedish is badass cause it's the language of the Vikings but it's also difficult and limited in its use. And I don't like the sound or the look of the Arabic languages I heard so far, but it's a super useful language with a huge number of speakers.

So what I'm basically looking for is a language that's challenging but not impossible, useful in terms of getting around the world with it and just looking good on the CV and just being interesting.

Any recommendations?

submitted by /u/Aenigma66
[link] [comments]

from Tere tulemast | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/36IE7Md
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments