What is the right way to learn a language?

Right way not the fastest. I've been dreaming of learning Italian for a while, but till now it's remained a dream.

I had a very bad introduction to language in secondary school where we were forced to choose both Italian and French, learn the basics for 2 years, before choosing either one of them or German. And the German students had no choice but to rush through to make up for those lost 2 years dedicated to the other two languages. It was a mess, I hated both Italian and French and dropped them in 3rd year.

For three years now I've been wanting to learn Italian because I'm around some Italian immigrants, sometimes instructions on products don't come in English but Italian, all the older adults around me know it, and I just think it's a beautiful language.

I tried duolingo. People around me warned me that I need a proper teacher or someone to practice it with. But I'm heavily insecure, especially at the prospect of speaking in a language I'm not fluent in to a stranger and not a teacher. I got tired of duolingo pretty quickly, last time I used it was a year ago. I made it up to colours, but I find that I've forgotten pretty much everything and that I'm much better at understanding written Italian than speaking or writing. Watching ordinary Italian videos and being around native Italians also doesn't help me because they speak too fast. What's the use of learning a language if you can only understand it in written form and can't understand actual native speakers?

I would go for private tutoring or a proper course if I could. I have the money but my schedule is always changing.

submitted by /u/SamiraMifsud
[link] [comments]

from Tere tulemast | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/36N8l0d
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments