How much progress is enough ...

So I have reached A2 level in Russian and have gone from it being very difficult to have a conversation to being able to talk ... ( in some kind of way ) for an hour happily enough in 1-2 months.

I am now aware that over the next 6 months to a year there will be less easily detectable signs of progress. In a week I may add 30 words to my reading comprehension and 10 to my active vocabulary etc ...

But i will make all these improvements incrementally and essentially have to be content with the fact that I will not get regular validation anymore.

Do any of you feel that to some extent the clock is ticking on your language learning ? For me there is no way I can continue like this consistently beyond a year. I feel like it will be essential for me to have a much more intense learning period, an immersive course in Russia for decent period so that after 1 year I can drop my learning down to more of a maintenance level.

Of course learning Russian may be my true calling but as a professional dilettante I know how unlikely this is.

So my question is, do others like me timebox their learning, knowing that at some point the winds will change ?

submitted by /u/patronpapillon
[link] [comments]

from Tere tulemast | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/38O1gy5
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments