Can native English speakers understand Dutch, German and/or Frisian at all?

I'm a Spaniard, and I was talking the other day with my brother (who doesn't have nearly the level of English I have) about how weird it is that we Spaniards can understand a whole lot of written or even spoken Italian, Catalan, Portuguese or even French, whereas English speakers who only speak English can't understand at all any other language (except very obvious short phrases like "guten morgen", but not much more than that).

He told me that he doesn't think that's the case, that I may unable to understand German (or Dutch or whatever) at all because I'm not a native English speaker, but that he estimates that a native speaker would be able to understand around 10% to 20% of a simple, easy text in German or Dutch.

To be honest I think he's very wrong, since I think I can be considered a fluent English speaker at this point (I got the C1 Cambridge certificate in August), if English resembled German that much I think I would definitely be able to see it, but hey, I can't understand spoken Scots AT ALL and from what I've seen most people don't even consider it a separate language from English, so idk, maybe my English isn't as good as I pride myself on lol

submitted by /u/mikelmon99
[link] [comments]

from Tere tulemast | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/317waij
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments