3,5 months ago I asked Reddit if it was possible to possible to reach C1 in Italian within3 months. Today is the final day of my 3 months journey in Italy. How is my italian doing now?

Did I reach C1? No.

3 months ago, I asked this sub how likely it was to reach C1 after 3 months (here's the thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/comments/djf1ny/is_it_possible_to_reach_c1_in_3_months_by_living/ )

After 3 months in Italy (Rome) : I'm not C1. I guess I'm B2 right now (not certified).

What I can do right now in Italian:

- I can watch movies and tv shows without subtitles

- I can read simple texts very easily (I basically understand every word)

- I can read advanced texts (I can't understand every word but I understand the meaning of sentences given the context). I have read 3 books of Nietzsche in Italian so far, while it was pretty challenging I feel like it really boosted my reading comprehension.

- I can write (not very elaborated sentences ofc)

- I can deal with most daily conversations (simple interactions)

However there is definitely a huge disparity between my active and passive skills. My passive skills are great mainly due to my first language which is French: Being a French native speaker helps me a lot when it comes to learn italian. Similarity between words in both languages helps me to guess successfully the meaning of many words.

On the other hand, my actives skills are lacking (more on that below).

What I can't do in Italian:

- I'm struggling with colloquial Italian

- Strugling to understand when people speaks in the street (words from dialect + colloquial + prononciation)

- I can't express myself in a very elaborated way. Lack of vocabulary + my grammar knowledge is not very strong (I haven't fully masterized subjonctive yet)

I could pass a B2 exam (I was lucky to find an official B2 exam from 2015 on the internet) even though I feel closer to B1 than C1.

Could I Work using Italian?

I could work in a professionnal environnement where basical Italian is required. For example, I could work in a Hotel in France. My Italian would be good enough to deal with pretty much every situation Italian customers may face during their stay.

HOWEVER I can't work when fluency in Italian is required so I'm definitely not fluent.

Learning routine and exhaustion

At the beginning, I was the Man. My learning routine was very good: I spoke, wrote, listened and read Italian everyday for many hours (4-5 hours). I had just arrived in Italy, my motivation was very high.

Unfortunately, I started soon to become tired of the process, feeling exhausted from learning.

As I was working during the day (I'm working on the internet, I manage some websites. When I work I use French), I was kind of unmotivated/tired when it was time to study Italian (even if I was in Rome.)

So basically, I just watched Netflix without subtitles for many hours (betwen 3-4 hours / day). This is not the most productive way to learn a language BUT it's the best way to practice everyday when you are lazy.

For me, it's easier to watch Netflix in Italian for 4 hours rather than writing in Italian for 30 minutes.

This is why there is a huge disparity between my active and passive skills.

My goals for the next months:

- I need to find the motivation to improve my active skills.

submitted by /u/Kobaltdr
[link] [comments]

from Tere tulemast | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/38R1R21
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments