Why is the brain unable to process a foreign language as fast a native one?

I am currently learning Japanese and when I practising my listening, I often find it difficult to process what is being said, even if I am familiar with most of the words that are spoken. By the time I have translated it in my head, the speaker(s) have gone on a head. This also happens when I am speaking with a native speaker in person. It takes time to

On the other hand, your brain can understand your native language instantaneously. What’s the biology behind this? Why does it take the brain decades longer to process words from a foreign language?

I try and listen to as much Japanese as possible but doesn’t seem to make a shred of difference

submitted by /u/AvatarReiko
[link] [comments]

from Salvete | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2tYQ56r
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments