What's the point? English won the language war.

An example of nearly every encounter in Spain when ordering.

Me: "Dos cafe con leche, por favor"

Waiter: "Sure thing, anything else?"

Me: "No, thanks". Sigh

As an English speaker, what is the point of even learning a new language when all of the youth of major non-English speaking nations are trending towards English as a second language? As an English speaker, I'm feeling extremely disheartened after attempting to learn Spanish for far too long to mention only to have every encounter show me how pointless my efforts were. The very fact that language learning is so popular and accessible is even more reason for these kinds of encounters to happen more regularly. Yes, there are a huge number of Hindi and Chinese (Mandarin etc) speaking people in the world but FAR more of them are learning English than there are of English speakers learning thier language. And as for encounters with people outside of metropolitan areas, sure that is one reason to learn a non-English language but I'm taking about global trends and tipping points in regards to English becoming a universal language. I guess I'm just pissed it's so hard to practice in a target language country... TWO LATTES PLEASE.

EDIT: I really enjoy reading in Spanish though! That's fun. I'm not knocking Spanish or Spanish people.

submitted by /u/supperfield
[link] [comments]

from Salvete | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2tgRRzG
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments