Should I keep trying after failure or take a break?

I just took the JLPT level five and I didn’t do very well. I did poorly enough that I know even before the score comes in that I did not do very well.

I’m trying to decide how to spend my learning time for the next three months. One possibility is to continue on with Japanese. It would have a certain amount of momentum, and I have some clear areas I need to work on based on the recent test. But I feel pretty demoralized by the results and I’m not very enthused about continuing

The other would be to switch back to German, in which I am more proficient. I’d be more likely to be able to make progress towards a goal like interacting with people at a German language meet up, planning a trip to Germany where I would use the language, etc.

It is unlikely that with Japanese I will reach a useful level of fluency in the same amount of time. So studying German feels like a treat and my enthusiasm is higher.

Any thoughts from the hive? Assume this is purely for personal growth and that there’s no economic benefit to picking one over the other.

submitted by /u/rchc1607
[link] [comments]

from Failte royd | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2YpPu9d
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments