Learning a language at an older age.

So I feel like Ive been back and forth trying to learn French for what feels like a lifetime. I took a regular French class (mandatory) until we had the option to opt out. I believe that was grade 10. This is something I regret now. I wish older me could have told younger me to keep at it (I’m sure others can relate). I tried to rekindle French after I finished University. I live in Canada so I thought it would be good to have. I took a couple back-to-back beginner classes. I then got a new job in another city – this was my first career job and I ended up moving and leaving my French classes behind.

Now here I am in my mid 30s.. deciding to take up French again just for the sake of learning a language I have some background in. Hoping to accomplish what I’ve failed to in the past. This time not taking a class, but doing it solo. I have assimil French with ease as a guide. Some kindle French learning stories /books in French from years past. And I currently watch Netflix French shows with English subtitles.

I’m also subscribed to news in slow French. But with the fee of being about 18 dollars a month (after conversion from US and with a discount Ill lose if I unsubscribe). Not sure if it is really worth the cost. Ive only had it for a month and while listening to it/looking at the transcriptions. There are still a lot of vocab I do not get right now.

Does anyone here have success in learning a language later in life? Has anyone had situations where they’ve had opportunities to learn but squandered them… only to find themselves back full circle at a much later age? Part of me worries that Ill just end up where I always end up. I guess I would like to hear some stories/advice for motivation if anyone has them.

submitted by /u/raiyaa
[link] [comments]

from Failte royd | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2YrOIbC
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments