I’m (16 F) learning Spanish! Any tips?

So let me just give a little background on my Spanish learning. I’ve been taking Spanish as a class in school from 4th-8th grade. We only had our classes 2x a week. However I was never engaged. I didn’t take the class seriously and thought it was pointless to learn. But when I got into my freshman year of high school I met my boyfriend who is Salvadoreño. One day he translated the song “ La Carretera” by Prince Royce for me. I remember falling in love with spanish and promising myself I’d learn it. On top of that my school is predominantly black and Latino. So learning Spanish would be very useful.

Im in my sophomore year and during this year we begin taking spanish up until we graduate. I ace that class pretty well. I thank god I took spanish in elementary and middle school because I subconsciously remember a lot more than I thought. As of right now, I’ve made some progress. I can somewhat form sentences. I listen to music in Spanish and I watch tv in Spanish. I also practice with Duolingo but I don’t only rely on that. I get books in Spanish and read those just to try and understand why the grammar the way it is. It’s a whole new experience. Me encanta.

I want to learn Spanish for 1) to accomplish something that requires a lot of time, 2) to impress my boyfriends family (they like me but they sometimes joke how I don’t understand. I do understand a lot though) and 3) better job opportunities for being bilingual. And I’m a lil black girl lol. People mistaken me for Puerto Rican or Dominican though. However as far as I know I have no Latino side to me. It would just be unique to know spanish and not be Latina I guess. I’ve looked up YouTube videos and they talk about immersion and talking to native speakers. But I don’t have a lot of vocabulary to form a sentence and I get pretty nervous. Even when speaking to my friends. Any tips to help further my growth?

submitted by /u/heybaby34
[link] [comments]

from Salvete | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/369TfCz
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments