I had my first interview in german

I‘m an american applying for master‘s programs in Germany. One requirement for the primary study scholarship offered by the DAAD, is the “Sprachnachweiß”, which is essentially a brief interview that you must take with a professor who teaches German. Prior to this interview, I had only spoken with my girlfriend (who is also learning), and with some people I occasionally have “Deutsche Frühstuck” (german breakfast) with, but these breakfasts always left me feeling mostly anxious, inept, and frustrated.

The interview: I studied a fair bit prior to the interview. I basically spoke to myself in german non stop for a whole week, and did my daily ritual of duolingo/german youtube.

We conducted the interview over facetime, beginning with greetings in English, but prompty switched to German. I was nervous going into it, but something possessed me. I can’t explain it exactly, the words just seemed to begin flowing from me so naturally. This was truly the first moment when I really felt like “i can speak german” and not just, “I know some german”. Every question he asked, I answered fluidly, and without many mistakes. He began pressing me harder, he asked a few questions which I could tell were intended to truly test me, to push me further. And I answered those. I eventually collapsed when he pressed into politics and I couldn’t muster up the vocabulary to continue.

At this point, he gave me a reprieve, and we started in english again. He was highly impressed with my skills, and was shocked when I told him that I’d never had formal classes. He also told me that my accent was impeccable, and that he would mistake me for a native german if I had better grammar and vocabulary. Finally, he told me that I was certainly A2 level, and that I might even be B1 level.

The interview ended, and I looked at myself in the mirror, confused about what had just occurred, but finally happy to have confirmation that I am progressing.

I know this isn’t the biggest achievement in the world, but only 2 years ago I was the kind of person who would say “I can’t learn a second language”, an attitude I developed after nearly failing every Spanish course my state required me to take. Apparently, I am the kind of person who can learn a new language. No matter what has happened to you in the past, you can learn another language.

submitted by /u/DiogenesCane
[link] [comments]

from Failte royd | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2rpiHF5
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments