I get jealous of “polyglots”

Idk if other people experience this, but I get Very jealous of people that were raises in multilingual environments. I myself was raised in one (Italian-English) and still live in one, but for the language I’m learning (French) I have no-relatives from France and never go there. I lack the immersion. So you can see how I feel when I meet Rolf from Luxembourg that grew up speaking French and Luxembourgish at home, learnt English and German at School, did Spanish at college and lived in Amsterdam for a few years and now knows a bit of Dutch. Oh and he also did a bit of Latin and ancient Greek. I’ve been told that these people aren’t often very proficient in their languages, and know just basic words to get by, but I still feel disadvantaged compared to them. There’s the perception that Europeans can speak a lot of languages but I can only speak 2 at a native level and I have to Really work to keep up my third.

submitted by /u/Kyoko_IMW
[link] [comments]

from Salvete | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2t6MEdA
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments