Feeling inadequate

So I’m studying to be a conference interpreter, a way to make my passion for languages a tangible career. I went home for Christmas and was chatting with my father who speaks 6 languages and he made me feel like a piece of shit, although I know it wasn’t his intention. I was describing how intensely I’ve been studying and all the things I’m looking forward to after getting certified and he basically said, « it’s not that hard. I interpreted after just six months of knowing Spanish and only 4 months of knowing Italian, in a professional environment. » I’ve been studying my languages for years now, albeit not that seriously until the past few months, and I have really low self-esteem (working on it šŸ¤ž). Now idk if I really want to follow through with my plans because I feel like I should be learning faster and better by now. Idk what to do.

TLDR: my dad told me interpreting is easy, I’ve been studying really hard, but progress is slow and I’m starting to feel discouraged. Now I’m questioning my career path. What to do?

submitted by /u/nanook98
[link] [comments]

from Salvete | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/36fV2Gk
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments