Should I "stagger" the order of languages I study?

So I have a long-term goal of gaining a base-level knowledge of several languages; I'm not looking for anything near fluency or high proficiency, I'd be happy just to be able to pick up like 75% of a conversation or text in several of the more common languages. I've been studying Portuguese for about the past six months and I'd like to stick with it a bit longer, but thinking ahead to this time next year I was debating what the next language I should tackle should be. I'd like to learn Spanish at some point, but I don't know if I should take a year with a "buffer" non-Romance language in between like German beforehand. I'd like to keep my knowledge of Portuguese and Spanish distinct and avoid teaching myself "Portuñol" by accident. Is this a technique polyglots use, or am I way overthinking this?

submitted by /u/mikerickson
[link] [comments]

from Failte royd | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2OyQkNA
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments