Should I continue taking classes with a good professor for a language I don't care for?

A bit of a rant.

I know at the end of the day, it's up to me whether I continue or not. But maybe someone's been in a similar situation.

I have an amazing Russian professor at my uni I've taken the first semester (of five) this fall. The class is pretty slow right now, and I've been self studying for the most part, but I know if I keep taking her I'll probably speak decently in 2 years and most students get weeded out.

But I don't have a good reason for wanting to continue Russian. It'll probably help me in my future since I want to work in international relations (FSO maybe?), or in Germany (I'm learning German for a few years now). But I don't care about anything Russia-related, other than their good literature (which I can read in English).

Right now I've scheduled next semester classes so I'm not taking Russian, and I'm going to start self-study Korean. I like esports (LoL specifically) and thought Korean might help me in that scene. Maybe I could work in Japan (native language) then and Korean relations. I got into kpop recently (IU)

I won't be able to realistically do three languages (German, Russian, Korean) at once with how much time I have. But I have this nagging feeling that I should continue Russian because of the professor. I don't really have strong reasons for wanting to learn any of my languages, and it's fun learning regardless of what language.

But if I think about the "why" of learning my languages, I start doubting myself on why I'm even learning German. It just sorta happened, I don't have a strong reason for why German specifically.

I wish I had a strong clear reason to learn a language, like most people here seem to have. Other languages I want to learn in the future (Norwegian, Finnish, French) have no "strong" reason for why i want to learn them, they just sound cool. And perhaps I end up the same with them as I do Russian, I quit because I don't have a good reason. So maybe I should stick it out with Russian for the 4 semesters? Or maybe I'm wasting time and should move onto Korean already? bleh

submitted by /u/9th_Planet_Pluto
[link] [comments]

from Failte royd | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2qZGnj9
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments