I'm completely immersed in one of my target languages and I'm struggling to keep up with my other target language.

So basically I've been studying French and Spanish for a long time. I have a degree in the two languages and I spent semesters in both France and Spain. Now I'm living in France and I'm a postgraduate student here so I'm basically fully immersed in French. The majority of days it's the only language I speak, in university, with my friends, in every mundane situation imaginable, which is great because I'm close to fluent in it now.

The problem is that I'm finding it hard to still concentrate on Spanish while I'm here. As it was I was already a bit better at French than Spanish seeing as I'd studied it for so much longer before I came here, but now I feel like the gap is widening. My only exposure to it is our once-a-week Spanish professional communication class in my Master's, which is an hour and a half long. It's a good practical class because I'd love to work in a Spain or another Spanish-speaking country in the future, but it's a big drop from the four hours of Spanish a week across various topics I had in undergrad, and I used to know lots of native speakers I could talk to then. Basically outside of this one class I almost never speak it and it doesn't help that I'm very busy here in general and I don't have much time to do things that aren't coursework. I feel my level is suffering as a result, I find I need to think a lot harder and really mentally search for words when speaking it and when I do talk a lot of what comes out sounds like it's been directly translated from French because my brain is used to having to work through French I guess.

I'd appreciate any advice if anyone has been in the same situation, because I really want to get out of this rut and start improving my level again. Thank you so much in advance!!!

submitted by /u/cienenamorados
[link] [comments]

from Failte royd | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/33qr6Fi
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments