Spanish TV and other questions

Hey r/LanguageLearning, I’m a native English speaker in the U.S.. I’ve been taking spanish in school for the last 4 years and going into my 5th. I’ve been studying relatively intensely on my own for the last two years or so. I’d say I’m in between B2 and C1

My main method for learning has been spanish music and tv. Especially music. I listen to it almost constantly. Since it’s basically rap music, meaning they speak very quickly, I often times will pick songs I’m unfamiliar with and just try and sight read. This way, I learn to speak quicker and I also have found myself predicting the lyrics.

I also watch a lot of tv, like I said. In Spanish with Spanish subtitles. The show I’ve been binging lately is Club de Cuervos.

Now on to my issue: So, I can follow Club de Cuervos with spanish subtitles and understand probably 90% or so of what they’re saying. However, without the subtitles I understand significantly less, maybe 20% at most? I can understand clear, enunciated spanish spoken at a pretty quick pace but I just struggle with people speaking naturally, at their native pace. With songs, the issue is similar. Following along with lyrics I can hear all the words as the singer says them, and even mostly comprehend them. However, without the lyrics my comprehension plummets.

I would say this is my biggest issue with spanish at the moment. It makes me somewhat self conscious to speak with native speakers because, even though I really do know a lot, if they speak at their native pace, I can’t understand much. It’s really my last big obstacle to being able to confidently say I speak Spanish. Is there a good way to close this gap between listening with subtitles and listening without them?

Some other smaller issues: I’ve really been looking to improve my accent. It’s pretty good now, but I’d say it’s obvious that I’m not a native speaker. I’ve been working on fine-tuning my pronunciation to sound more “native,” and was wondering if there is a specific way to go about that.

Rolling my r’s is a struggle. It’s frustrating because I can make the sound on its own. However trying to actually do it in the middle or the beginning of a word is extremely difficultly for me.

If anyone can help with any of these problems, I’d greatly appreciate it!

submitted by /u/npridd101
[link] [comments]

from Selamat datang | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2ML1nUc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments