I speak 2 foreign languages fluently but my native language vocabulary sucks

I'm a native Dutch speaker who moved to Germany at 18, which was two years ago. I speak fluent conversational German and English on a level greater than a lot of Dutch people I know. Yet both my German /and/ Dutch vocabulary are awfully small and people think I'm stupid. I'm told I talk and write like a 12-year-old! Even in English I struggle to use advanced vocabulary. I do enjoy reading, but it seems like it's not helping me improve. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you improve vocabulary to get on a level of higher education? I can't go to college with the speaking and writing skills of a middle schooler!

submitted by /u/BahnwaerterThiel
[link] [comments]

from Selamat datang | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2zFWNhy
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments