How stupid would it be for someone like me to learn Mandarin ?

Hi !

I'll get to the point : French is my native language, and I learned english through school + internet and video games. On top of English, I had to study Italian but ... I was terrible at it because I slacked a lot at the beginning, and then the only way for me to make up for it was to put in some real work. Which I never did. Instead, I just accepted that I was doomed to get terrible grades in italian and compensated by getting good grades in stuff that interested me more.

Now, after a few years of nothing, I'm going to university and I'm mainly going to study english, but on top of it I have to learn another language (no way around it, that's part of the course). I have quite a few choices, but the only two that caught my attention are Spanish and Mandarin.

I'm interested in Mandarin because I love the way this language sounds, and that's it lol. I think it's extremely pretty and I would love to be able to somewhat speak the language. I'm just attracted to it.

I'm interested in Spanish because ... ok, I'm not actually interested in it, it's just that Spanish will require less efforts. I am really not that into the language, the main reason I'm thinking of choosing it is because it's apparently rather easy to learn, especially for people who already know French. That's what I've been told, at least.

The reason I talked about how I dealt with Italian classes at the beginning of this post is because, well, I don't want this to happen again. I managed to go through high school in spite of getting a ton of 0/20 in Italian, but I doubt I'll be able to do the same in a university.

So the smart move for me would be to choose spanish, and then as long as I'm diligent, I should be able to get ok grades. But right now my heart is saying "go for mandarin ! it is so cool, you'll love to study it !". But I'm scared. I'm scared that Mandarin will require so much work I'll start slacking, and that after three month I will hate it, and then I'll be stuck in this situation where I go "I guess I will have to make up for the bad grades I'm gonna get because I suck at this language and don't have the motivation to get better".

Oh, I should add that professionally, chances are none of this will have any impact on my life. I plan to be an english teacher in France.

Basically, I'm just asking for someone to tell me "you're right, mandarin sounds like a risky idea, just play it safe and go for spanish even if you're not into it. It's the safest option.". But if you want to give me an inspirational speech and explain to me why Chinese isn't such a bad idea, please do, because that's what I wish I'll get lol

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

submitted by /u/Syabri
[link] [comments]

from Selamat datang | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2ZlZTXf
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments