Best foreign language ear training strategies?

I’ve seen lots of advice on here that listening to media in your target languages helps you comprehend native speech (possibly my biggest struggle at the moment). However, what exactly is the best listening approach to wire your brain to a new language?

I can listen to the flow of speech as a whole and try to comprehend the “gist” even if I’m not catching every word, just going for basic ideas. Or I can try to allow my ear to follow the speech word for word, where I may comprehend more but can easily get lost if I hear something unfamiliar. Ideally, I’d like to become fluent and understand everything the speaker is saying beyond just the big ideas. Though I’m not sure which approach is best if I want to train my ear.

Also, while I’ve been attempting to listen to foreign audio for a long time and have noticed improvements, it is much slower than you’d think based on how much people recommend doing it. I know people who have become fluent in a language just by watching TV and I just don’t see how I could ever do that.

Suggestions?

submitted by /u/orangeinjustice
[link] [comments]

from Selamat datang | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2UiWkuY
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments