Portuguese vs Russian?

Hi, all!

So, I've just returned from a year in China and have reached a decent level of fluency. While I am still working on my Chinese in my personal time, I am pursuing a masters in Romance Linguistics with a focus on French and a masters in statistics.

I am personally interested in maybe going into statistics or economics one day, and I've found that having access to news, articles, and various resources in the language of the place I'm studying have been a huge boon to both my studies and life in general. In particular, I'm finding the renewed relationship between Russia and China personally fascinating. Plus, being on the ground in Beijing during this USA-China trade war has been illuminating to say the least as to why China may be warming up more and more to Russia. I am also interested in economic development and corruption in Belarus, Moldova, and other former Soviet states.

While in Beijing, I also noticed a HUGE push for more investment in Angola and Latin America in the form of conferences and meetings. I've also noticed that things aren't going too well in Brazil to the tune of a super high unemployment rate and Bolsonaro. I have friends in Brazil and the language's proximity to Spanish make it attractive to me. Also, learning the sounds of Portuguese hasn't been so hard for me since I already speak French fluently.

I'm not sure which language to start learning next since I will likely be using this language to conduct research. Portuguese I could use towards my thesis in Romance Linguistics since both Portuguese and French are spoken in Africa and I'm planning on my thesis having relevance to African French. However, if I decide to go on to do economics in the future, I feel like China-Russia trade relations may become increasingly important.

I'm having difficulty assessing the ROI on learning Portuguese vs Russian to a level where I can use the language to do research and communicate with people in that language. Learning Portuguese would be a cakewalk compared to a language like Russian and I doubt I would have to go to Brazil for very long to get to a C1 level. Learning Russian would be a bit easier than Chinese, but it would also take a while to learn and I would probably have to go to a Russian-speaking country for a chunk of time.

What do you all think? I'm curious as to you all's opinion, since I can't choose right now.

submitted by /u/kokomarro
[link] [comments]

from خوش آمديد | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2SRVQeM
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments