Mandarin or Japanese

I'm currently taking Spanish classes, after having taken Spanish for a few years in high school and now 1 year in college. I'm fairly certain I want to learn either Mandarin or Japanese while continuing to improve my Spanish. I have no experience in either of those languages, and have a few pros and cons for each. The main reasons for me taking Japanese would be that, first off, I'm a weeb(I watch anime), so I know I'd be more passionate about learning Japanese than mandarin, additionally the social aspect (many people taking the Japanese classes are weebs as well) is a big plus. The main con is the usefulness of the language, as I'm not sure I'd ever put it to use. I'm majoring in CS, and I've been told that it's a useful language for CS majors to have, but I'm not sure how legitimate those claims are.

As for mandarin, the main pro is the usability of the language. I have many friends that speak mandarin, and with my current lifestyle end up interacting with mandarin speakers outside my friend group every week. The only downside here is I'm scared I'll start learning it and end up dropping it due to lack of enthusiasm.

I know the question is broad, so here's a few points I need help on that would make the decision easier: The legitimacy of the Japanese for CS claim, and specific aspects of Chinese culture that I could use to stimulate my interest.

submitted by /u/Dorgray
[link] [comments]

from خوش آمديد | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/3122dis
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments