How do you teach reading and writing to children in languages without "clear" spelling?

Let me explain. I am a native Italian speaker and when I was a kid I was taught to read and write just by learning the alphabet and the way each letter is pronounced, which is pretty easy considering in Italian each letter or combination of letter can be pronounced only one way and vice versa (with very few exceptions), so much so that spelling bees are not a thing in Italy, as that would be pointless. Now, what I'm curious about is, how do you teach reading and writing when that is not the case? for example, how do native English speakers learn spelling? do they get taught the alphabet and then still have to learn to spell word by word?

submitted by /u/brigister
[link] [comments]

from Аӄта и’ | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2YmrORu
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments