Reading children's books to Google Translate in my target language is pretty fun.

I'm an early-to-mid level learner of German. My kid has been learning German at preschool, and from her mom and grandma. So we have all these German language children's books around the house. Every once in a while I've started putting on a headset and reading them, one page at a time, to Google translate, hitting the microphone button in the Android app. It's pretty fun. I learn which words I'm not saying clearly enough for Google translate to understand. I learn the other 30% of the vocabulary that I don't already know. And the books I've been reading to my kid sometimes finally make complete sense.

Obviously it wouldn't be a whole way to learn a language. But it does seem like a good early-to-mid-level way to practice pronunciation and learn vocabulary. As an impromptu "learn a language with a smartphone" method, I find it's been working better for me than Duolingo, since it's just a bit more fun to read a story, and the vocab is easier to remember in a context.

submitted by /u/sparkzebra
[link] [comments]

from B’a’ntulena | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2XbBpd5
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments