I want to learn mandarin, need help ( if some ppl used Assimil, come here )

So I want to learn Mandarin from scratch ... I've done some research.

Here is what I think I would need.

I think I would learn way better with books and audios rather than digital sites or w/e.

I'm french but I also speak english, so im not sure if I should learn Chinese from French or English. I'm pretty confortable with both.

I looked up at Assimil, this seems to be what I am looking for. It has some good reviews but, I heard the Mandarin course isn't as good as Russian, French or Spanish. I've also read a review that says Assimil ain't the best to make you fluent in a language, it will help to have conversations with people but not go to another level. I've heard it focuses less on grammar and more on learning patterns. But shouldn't you learn grammar as well?

if I buy Assimil books, should I pair that up with a grammar book or phrasebooks or something, if so, any recommendations that would pair up well with Assimil?

Also, I've read that I should start with pinyin and follow that with tones. Is that included in the Assimil's A1 book or it takes into account that I already know that.

My last concern is that, I can only see the A1 book on Assimil, maybe there's an A2 book but they seem really similar. What are you suposed to do when you get to B1-2 etc. I know I am not even close to that but, I feel like , when I get there, I don't think I would like to change from Assimil's method to another method that will be probably different just because there are no other books for Assimil. But thay may be just me.

Another problem with Assimil is that there are no flashcards / quizzes I think. Can anyone recommend something that would pair up well with Assimil for that purpose?

If you don't like Assimil and you have some other recommendations, let me know.

I would really prefer some physical books and audio, I learn better that way.

Thanks alot!

submitted by /u/Alexrome
[link] [comments]

from B’a’ntulena | Languagelearning https://ift.tt/2Nfudgv
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments