Staying in India for 9 weeks after studying Hindi for 3 years.

Hello everyone. I've been studying Hindi for three years in college. I've traveled to India many times in the past but only for one week stretches and only twice since I started learning Hindi. So, culture shock and fear of speaking isn't so much of an issue. I've completed all the Hindi classes my college had to offer, so my formal Hindi education is done.

This time I'll be here for nine weeks staying in a small village where most people speak only Hindi and very little English.

I'm fine at reading and writing, but still not very good at comprehending advanced sentences in real time.

What are some techniques to maximize my improvement in speaking and listening ability while I'm here? So far I've just been going to shops and talking about daily life things with the villagers, but I feel like I'm not really improving in speaking or listening comprehension. Rather, I feel like I'm just stumbling through conversations using only simple sentences and only getting the general gist of what they're saying. What's frustrating is that if I were to see what they're saying, written down, I'd be able to fully understand.

Any techniques I should be employing? Most articles I've read assume the reader is in the foreign country without any prior knowledge of the language.

Tldr: staying in India for 9 weeks after 3 years of f Hindi classes. Speaking and listening skills need to improve. Techniquesto improve while here? I've already been speaking with villagers but not seeing improvement.

submitted by /u/milanove
[link] [comments]

from B’a’ntulena | Languagelearning https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning/comments/buho9u/staying_in_india_for_9_weeks_after_studying_hindi/
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments