Learning a Third Language for the Short Term

Hi all. Had a question that I didn't find an answer to via search; if you know of a prior thread feel free to point me there.

I'm currently learning German (early days, high A1 level) as my "full time" second language. Classes, a tutor, grammar books, apps, podcasts, etc. The whole deal. Committing a lot of sweat equity to this project.

I'm going to Poland in late July and am interested in picking up some "survival Polish" so that I don't sound like a complete doofus when ordering pierogies.

Is there any advice, or some literature/research, on how best to learn a temporary third language for a short amount of time? My main concern is that as a relative newbie to German, still figuring things out, I'll perhaps mix up my pronunciation/word order/etc by trying to pick up a short term "add on" language that's substantively different. I've only now just figured out that damn "ich" sound in German on a consistent basis and I'd hate for my tongue to get confused by introducing some Polish pronunciations.

Alternatively, if the human brain is an amazing computer capable of handling and sorting all these different inputs, and thus I am more capable of doing such a task, feel free to tell me that as well.

Of course I'm also cognizant that time spent on Polish means less time to spend on German, but I'm willing to make that temporary trade-off if it means that I can correctly articulate a few coherent sentences for my trip.

Thanks to all!

submitted by /u/saintangus
[link] [comments]

from B’a’ntulena | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2KfnYpJ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments