Is there a solution to my Tandem experiences?

I've tried various Tandem apps / sites and I seem to find the same problem over and over: People are more concerned about learning their target language than teaching yours. (I, too, am certainly guilty of it.)

Part of the problem is that most of them seem to only let you work in pairs. So if I want to learn German but can teach English, I then need to find someone who can will teach German and wants to learn English.

Is there any site/app that would let me learn German from one person, but teach English to another?

With this approach in isolation, it would make the lack of reciprocity even worse, but what if you were initially given some "learning credits" to learn your target language, but can only earn more through teaching others?

I feel like it would encourage teaching and would dramatically expand the amount of people I could learn from / teach to. Although, I do recognise a certain level of the mutual language is needed to begin (e.g. I wouldn't be able to learn German from scratch from a German speaker who has zero English).

Does such a system exist?

(alternatively, is there an iTalki equivalent via sms/whatsapp. Instead of paying per hour of skype, I pay a subscription for a what is essentially a pen pal?)

submitted by /u/NamaNamaNamaBatman
[link] [comments]

from B’a’ntulena | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2EMCbH4
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments