Is majoring in language studies the best way to learn a language?

I've liked languages since childhood, but I lack the motivation and discipline needed to learn them by myself. This year I'm going to university, and I have 2 months left to decide whether I want to pursue career in languages or related to Humanities/Social Science, which interest me as well. For a couple of years now, I've wanted to learn Arabic some day, alternatively Hebrew or Farsi, as I have a certain inclination for the Middle Eastern culture. That's why I thought of studying Arabic Studies/Philology. I know it would be a complete immersion in the language, as most of the subjects would be language-related: modern Arabic, classic Arabic, calligraphy, phonetics, dialect, reading texts, grammar etc., along with subjects related to the culture and history of the Middle East. After 3 years the students are expected to know Arabic on a B2 level and another oriental language on a B1 level. But as I said, right now I'm in two minds, not sure if it would be better to study this, or something else and studying Arabic by myself or in a language school. But would it be enough? Honestly, as I see my future, the degree I will have won't affect that much where I will work. I'm aiming to get a job in an NGO or in a cultural institution or as a writer/editor and translations would be just my side hustle.

submitted by /u/fancy-schmancy_name
[link] [comments]

from Dev Boro Dis Dium | Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2PYonOg
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments