How do I remember a language I was once fluent in?

I lived in Italy the first 7 years of my life and I was fluent in Italian. My parents were from Somalia so I understood Somali but couldn’t speak it. Once I moved I learned English and my mom stopped talking to my sister and I in Italian so we both eventually forgot it. I’ve been learning French for a while and have added Korean to the lists of languages. Problem is I’ve always wished I still could speak Italian. I have family there and my grandma( she wasn’t biologically my grandma but she cared for us like we were her grandkids) that don’t speak English and I don’t speak Italian so I can’t communicate with them. I told my mom I wanted to relearn it and she said she’d speak to me in Italian but when she does I get confused and just go back to english. My sister can have conversations in Italian but she’s older than me so maybe that’s why she remembers more, she’s still not as fluent as she was though. People say I still have it up there somewhere but at this point I don’t even know if I’ll be able to fully remember it.

submitted by /u/Nadia022
[link] [comments]

from خوش آمدید| Languagelearning http://bit.ly/2VM8jVc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments